View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Emulsion Tuning 

I opened up a new Quick Fuel 1050 AN carb today and it has 3 emulsion jets in it. 031/blank/031/blank/031. So not the four 0.029 emulsion jets that Holley is using but still a lot of emulsion jet area.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 am
Site Admin

Will you dyno it against the Ultra 950?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 am

Yes that is the plan. I have the new intake manifold from Trick Flow so I'll run the Holley 950 with the annular boosters as my baseline carb and then switch to the QF 1050AN.

I really like some features on this QF carb. I like their packaging, the little setup card they include in the box as well as the overall look and feel of the carb. Looks like a really nice design. The venturi design looks better than the Holley 950 although I know enough about aero to know that what looks good doesn't necessarily work good!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:02 pm
Site Admin

It will be interesting to see what can be accomplished with the adjustability incorporated in this carb.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:11 pm

I've been reading over on YB, those old emulsion threads over there, with all the expert opinions. I now fully grasp both sides of the emulsion concept, and all its voodoo, hocus pocus, and what not.

What I have concluded, with the over emulsified main well concept..... is it works, not great, and after the fine line is crossed, and the well is over emulsified, the fuel just spits and sputters out of the booster at super and sub sonic speeds. More air just causes more problems, and that was evident by some of the old 2 barrel calibrations, y'all we throwing around over there. with .125+ MAB's, that's just crazy to even think.

While I could see the explanation, it just seemed like all they kept doing, was drilling more holes, until it just had no choice, but to just kind of work, half ass ok enough, to go around the track a few laps. I can see, that carb just wanting to have a narrow window of operation, with everything concentrated on what it does at WOT, without a care for what it does on the restart, or part throttle, in traffic, or off the turn.

I can see how the theory of this operation is plausible. However, I do not see it as being very consistent that way, and more then likely, at some point, e3,e4,e6,e7,ect or what ever, the well becomes super hyper sensitive to any change, not just in jet, fuel pressure, or float height, but more so with elevation, atmosphere, and changes in g forces, would cause crazy fluctuations and turbulence in the main well and booster.

Not to forget a mention to the fact, one would think that there would be a point reached, with all that atmospheric pressure in the main well....the air could possibly cause a back flow issue on the main jet, much like the idle circuit acts when the IFR is in the top location?!?!?

They definitely put alot of thought into how to get a 390 carb to flow air like Swiss cheese, and still some how, with magic squirrel shit, be able meter and atomize enough fuel, to even hang a leg off in it. Crazyness. B|

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 am

andyf wrote:
Yes that is the plan. I have the new intake manifold from Trick Flow so I'll run the Holley 950 with the annular boosters as my baseline carb and then switch to the QF 1050AN.

I really like some features on this QF carb. I like their packaging, the little setup card they include in the box as well as the overall look and feel of the carb. Looks like a really nice design. The venturi design looks better than the Holley 950 although I know enough about aero to know that what looks good doesn't necessarily work good!

Andy did you ever do the carb comparison on the dyno??

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3