View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 air oil separator 

Dumb question. I have a 90 percent street 455 olds. It has about 2 or 3 years on the last machine and rebuild. I don't have a lot of blow by if even at all, but I saw this and was thinking My carb might benefit from fresher air. Am I just dreaming again.

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance- ... +separator

If so, then will this work just as well, for a lower price.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4755-Oil-W ... NBF2KSGAGP

Thanks Steve

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 pm
Site Admin

You must mean for the PCV?? That's thinkin' with your dipstick..!! I don't see why that wouldn't work but it becomes a maintenance item. Where is the PCV valve located? Valve cover?

This Stant breather/oil separator for Mopar engines works well if you can use it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/snn-10075/overview/

Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Ok i think maybe I should leave well enough alone. I have a pcv from the valve cover to the front of the carb, and I have a breather similar to that on the other valve cover and plumped into the bottom of the open air cleaner. It's an olds style with the D shaped grommet.
It also has wire mesh or something inside of it.

Thanks for the response.

Steve

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Site Admin

"similar to that" is not good enough. My experience with the chrome look-alikes is they just have some wad of horsehair or some Brillo pad or steel wool filler and they don't prevent the oil from getting out of the engine. The actual Stant part is an engineered oil vapor separator. OE valve covers had actual engineered vapor separators that allowed air to pass through yet condense and return the oil vapor to the engine. There should be a baffle inside the cover to prevent oil from directly splashing from the rockers into the PCV valve. If there is no baffle it is better to use the Stant valve cover breather/vapor separator and put the PCV valve in a hose on the nipple on the breather.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:14 am

I do have the original Factory Oldsmobile covers on. I doubled up the gaskets to clear my Roller rockers. They have a nice long baffle the length of the cover. I have actually cleaned and used the original breathers before. I think the one on there now is aftermarket. I am constantly amazed at how the aftermarket can create a worse product than the one they replaced that was made in the 70's. The Jegs separator caught my eye looking at the magazine and that is when I though I need to get another perspective. Occasionally I become a victim of advertising. It does appear to be very similar to what Harbor Freight sells to go inline to a Compressor. When Harbor Freight first came to our town several years ago I purchased a few things and it was very comical watching them fail in a matter of weeks or days. I have a double piston compressor pump from the 60's and it leaks a little oil in the tank, but it still works great. I placed it on a bigger tank and installed a 5 Hp motor and it pumps up so fast it sounds like a motorcycle running. 130 psi in one minute 20 seconds. My new Craftman takes 3 times that time to get to 150. A friend of mine gave me the 60's pump for free, because know one wanted it. I have used it for years. I have it in a ventilated box with foam insulation out side my shop. I put a 15 watt bulb under my bench that lights up when ever it kicks on, because I can barely hear it in the shop.

Steve

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]