View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 BRPV 
Site Admin

8-32 setscrews work well for this. Use a .0625" orifice in original PV cavity passage through body and base, usually .040" ~ .050" is the range for the upper. Use a normal power valve and select PV spring and upper orifice size to suit. Changing upper orifice size adjusts pressure in PV cavity. Change to larger opens PV sooner so that should be used for the first change in tuning. If you are using a WBO2 gauge or logging with WBO2 you will see a small change has a measurable effect.

Attachments:
BRPV.jpg
BRPV.jpg [ 59.23 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Tuner,

That's fantastic! Much simpler than external routing from hat/manifold.

Thank you.

Dave

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:18 pm

i might have missed something or 6 hrs sleep isnt doing it for me today, where is the lower orifice located?

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 pm
Site Admin

.0625" in original PV cavity passage through body and base, .040" ~ .050"+ in the upper. 8-32 setscrews work well. Select PV spring and upper orifice size to suit. Normal PV. The pressure between the two orifices is adjusted by changing either, obviously the upper for tuning. The pressure in the PV cavity will be higher than below the carb, and lower than above the carb, allowing the spring to act as it normally does and overcome bowl (vent-hat) pressure, so the boost pressure acting on the wet side of the diaphragm does not close the valve. However, because the pressure in the cavity will be higher than in the manifold, the valve will enrich at higher actual intake vacuum than the valve would open if the cavity was not vented from above. Because the pressure drop across the carb varies with mass flow, changing the upper bleed affects the fuel flow as the boost changes.

You can rig this up for test with some Tees, bleeds, an idling engine for a vacuum source, shop air for a pressure source, pressure regulators and pressure/vacuum gauges.

This works when the PV is new, but an obvious shortcoming and concern in this is the stiffening of an aging PV diaphragm will affect the apparent spring tension, so depending on how the fuel affects the PV diaphragm, it becomes a maintenance item.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 pm

excellent, thankyou Sir!

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 pm

I just have to ask, is this for a blow through application? I am struggling to understand for a draw through application. Thanks.

Paul

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Yes, either turbo or Procharger blow thru apps.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:27 am

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I have a draw through system I run on my parents boat and could not wrap my head around how it would work on a draw through. Then I realized it was probably for a blow through. Thanks. Just needed a quick sanity check.

Paul

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]