View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 ballooning torque converter 

This question is for a friend of mine.

But I also would like to know if a stall Launch WITH OUT nitrous could have the same effect.

His thrust baring was destroyed, He uses nitrous with a B@M hole shot with an anti ballooning plate.

How can you tell if the converter caused the damage?

Will the converter show signs when you pull it out?

Measure different?

It doesn't appear to be distorted or seem to have any damage. (from the pictures I have seen)

If the converter is not in pieces internally and it measures normal without any stretch or distortion can he rule out the converter with the anti ballooning plate as the culprit of the damage to the thrust barring?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 pm
Site Admin

If the transmission cooler circuit is restricted for some reason, pinched hose or restrictive fitting, the crankshaft thrust will be damaged. Oil flow is from the converter to the cooler and back to the transmission. I if the cooler exhaust is restricted, the back pressure pushes the converter forward on the stator support. The area of the stator support times the converter internal pressure (which should be very low because the cooler just dumps back in to the pan on most transmissions) is the force pushing the converter forward.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Will a Stall "brake pedal" launch hurt my normally aspirated 455 at the track. I seem to get a little better traction through first gear that way. It is a TH400.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 pm

If it's a th400, they can have too large of a converter feed in the pump, and the return ends up being the restriction. The fix is to install a restrictor into the converter feed hole in the pump, then check cooler pressure. It's a simple fix, and works well.....

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]