View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Seperating out Power Piston Springs 

Well, after tearing apart 7 q-jets with most of them being spares I have built up an amazingly different group of power piston springs. For my mild build I doubt I will need a super soft one but it would be handy to have an idea of the point where each overcomes a specific vacuum. I was thinking of tapping a spare body power piston cavity for a vacuum nipple and attaching it to my car which currently has 20in/hg at idle. If I used 2 tees, first a tee with a needle valve, then closer to the carb body a second tee to plumb in my vac gauge. Then I could slowly crack the needle valve allowing it to bleed vac until the power piston moves.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Try this:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216888

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Ya, I saw that. I wonder if we should simply be rating springs by the vac they move or if we should also consider the rate at which they over come the vac. Like a mechanical advance spring. It has a rate and not simply a point of start. I wonder if it would be worth figuring the force the vac applies to the power piston are and figure the spring rates or simply track movement. Probably have to use a spring force calculator to get K though, I doubt if I can find that light of spring tester.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:14 pm

This is one of the reasons I didn't understand Roe's suggestion to cut a spring (though I did it in my 2gc). Spring force has to do with active coils and coil thickness. When you cut a spring it will actually have a greater rate at the same level of compression because there will be less active coils.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Too bad the z28 fellow didn't test to something like .200" movement.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]