View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 QJ #17056230 setup 

My flaps were previously notched when the discharge holes were above the flap, about 1/2 the size of a pencil too.

My too long tubes were below the flaps, done as per tuner, except too long. I planned on swapping the flaps out, but the track trip was a quick decision, and it didn't get done.

80427, any chance you can post a pic of the C-10 air cleaner base? Is it smoothly rounded from the filter base surface to the top of peak and back to carb flange?

The base I used on a short notice was from an '88 454 truck. It had a small ridge between the filter and peak of hump.

Dave

p.s. - Pontiacs often have a HUGE notch in their flaps/doors

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 pm

That was for the charcoal filter it used to have. I will get some pictures later this week

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Has anyone ever done any back-to-back testing with notched flaps and holes above vs. solid flaps and holes below (with or without "tuner" discharge tubes?

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 pm

novadude wrote:
Has anyone ever done any back-to-back testing with notched flaps and holes above vs. solid flaps and holes below (with or without "tuner" discharge tubes?

I'm guessing one would need to have two separate air horns with the same casting number for such a test, but that would sure be interesting to see.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:38 am

Here is a picture of a '73 truck air cleaner base. The step you described in the area between the filter and carb inlet is for the element the most of these came with in the 80s, which I assume is made of activated charcoal to collect vapors that come from the carb after shut down. I always removed them assuming they restrict flow, no proof though.

Attachments:
aircleaner.jpg
aircleaner.jpg [ 774.97 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4