View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 QJ vs Holley spreadbore for a tow rig 

tuner wrote:

snip

Do you have any Innovate WB02 now? .

No, I have an AEM wideband gauge in my old C-10. Similar to this one, but mine uses a 4.2 LSU sensor, vs an 4.9 LSU for the current version. What LSU means beats me. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3844

You might remember, you helped me a ton at Mark's forum with that blowthrough carb on that truck.

I have a big ole OZ Meter that I bought many moons ago too, before the small gauges existed. http://wbo2.com/~techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/

Dave

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Getting way off Rochester topic, but the AEM has a 0-5V output, but I don't know if it'll do what the Innovate will, as far as fooling the narrow band ECU. I need to study the instructions, vs the Innovate's

http://aemelectronics.com/files/instruc ... 0Gauge.pdf
https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... n-3844.pdf

A QJ on an old 396 intake is looking good!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:27 pm
Site Admin

The Chevy PU with the Caddy, nice rig. Is the PV scheme still playing nice? I expect if the PV diaphragm gets stiff it would have the effect of changing the spring tension.

What I get from those instructions is the AEM 0-5V output can not be set to target a specific A/F range and output specific voltages at each end of the range, like the Innovate. All Innovate WBO2 devices can be programmed to output specific high and low voltages (within 0-5V range) at specific lean and rich A/F, and so can emulate the voltage toggling of a narrow band sensor, which is usually from near .1 volt on the lean side of stoichiometric and near 1 volt on the rich side. Example: 17/1=.09V ~ 16.5/1=.92V. A setting similar to this will make the TBI run very close to 16.75/1 (+/- .05) in closed loop. The TBI engines I have applied this to, BBC and SBC, run smoother, cooler, and burn less gas, just like they would with a carb tuned to similar A/F. Just like tuning a carb, not all engines like the same A/F so some experimenting with different settings to find the lean limit and the voltage range the ECU is happy with is required. At least you don't have to get out in the rain to change jets.

On the other hand, if I had both choices at my disposal, QJet or TBI, and I had an iron high rise QJet intake, a QJet and an HEI (or first choice - a good points distributor - in case they drop the big one and all the electronics go poof), I would use the QJet.

If you have a late QJet with the 3/8" vapor nipple in the lid you can rig it for back-suction and have adjustable A/F with a valve at the wheel. Apply vacuum from the PCV with a valve and hose to the driver and back to the float bowl to lean it, watch the gauge and feel the lean limit = good mileage.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Hello tuner,

>The Chevy PU with the Caddy, nice rig. Is the PV scheme still playing nice? I expect if the PV diaphragm gets stiff it would have the effect of changing the spring tension.

It worked perfectly. I had it set to go rich early at the dragstrip. I was worried about a lean sag on the hit. [Cadillac head bolts are faaar apart]. I dinked with it on the street, and like you said, it can be tailored to do just what you like.

> What I get from those instructions is the AEM 0-5V output can not be set to target a specific A/F range and output specific voltages at each end of the range, like the Innovate.

An email from them said same.

>All Innovate WBO2 devices......

Understood.

> On the other hand, if I had both choices at my disposal, QJet or TBI, and I had an iron high rise QJet intake, a QJet and an HEI (or first choice - a good points distributor - in case they drop the big one and all the electronics go poof), I would use the QJet.

If you have a late QJet with the 3/8" vapor nipple in the lid you can rig it for back-suction and have adjustable A/F with a valve at the wheel. Apply vacuum from the PCV with a valve and hose to the driver and back to the float bowl to lean it, watch the gauge and feel the lean limit = good mileage.

I believe that I'll do just that. I'm not keen on going through the learning curve to make the tbi work right now. I'll not hack the wiring up, so I could do it later. I have a fair collection of QJs, several 170xxxxx with the nipple [and dual air bleed].

Thanks for that tip. So, less pressure in the fuel bowl will cause less fuel through the jets/etc. You never cease to amaze me.

Thanks.
Dave

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm
Site Admin

Back_Suction_A_F_Control_about633.html

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:55 pm

tuner wrote:
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/Back_Suction_A_F_Control_about633.html

Thanks, makes perfect sence.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2