View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fuel curve shaping 
Site Admin

74 firebird461 wrote:
2nd pic was the bigger emulsion setup... i've always had issues with this rpm converter on my LM1 not being real smooth

Is it grounded to the engine? The ground screw on the RPM Converter needs to be grounded to the engine. Probably best to ground the power supply for the LM-1 to the engine also.

Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 am

tuner wrote:
74 firebird461 wrote:
2nd pic was the bigger emulsion setup... i've always had issues with this rpm converter on my LM1 not being real smooth

Is it grounded to the engine? The ground screw on the RPM Converter needs to be grounded to the engine. Probably best to ground the power supply for the LM-1 to the engine also.

I believe I have it inside the glove box on firewall? I'll Change that asap. The power supply is my cig lighter, How do u ground that, run a seperate wire from it to the engine too?

Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 am
Site Admin

tuffxf wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:
Try putting .026 in the top and 3rd position. And lower your idle feed.

Gday Mark,
If this reply is to me, thanks very much!
.026 in 1 and 3, rest blocked i take it?
Leave the hi speed alone eh?
So when relocating the ifr simply tap the block and relocate it?

Do you happen to know anything about the availability of those quick fuel bowls?

Thanks very much!☺

You can take the HS down to 26 as well. As far as the bowls, the Black Diamond coating is not ideal for methanol. Anywhere the coating gets scratched the methanol will get under and eventually loosen it. The best is too have a set of silver bowls hardcoat plated. Even if they are scratched it doesn't loosen, keeps the rest protected.

Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am
Site Admin

74 firebird461 wrote:
tuner wrote:
74 firebird461 wrote:

I believe I have it inside the glove box on firewall? I'll Change that asap. The power supply is my cig lighter, How do u ground that, run a seperate wire from it to the engine too?

Using the LM-1 to tune different cars It didn't take long to learn the cigarette lighters in most cars are not very reliable power sources, particularly if it has been used to actually light cigarettes.

Because I use my Innovate stuff to tune different vehicles and a good power supply is necessary to use any data gathering stuff like the Innovate WBO2 and RPM Converter or AuxBox, sometimes including a laptop and the AC inverter for it, I made an extension cord with a pair of large alligator clips and a cigarette lighter socket so a good temporary power supply is available from the battery terminals. That solved the problem of the jittery data signals. Cigarette lighter sockets are notoriously poorly grounded and the grunge from cigarette ash only makes it worse.

What is the source of your tach signal, Innovate inductive clamp? coil terminal on inductive system? or dedicated tach output on a CD box? Using the inductive clamp sometimes a better signal source is the coil primary (12V supply) instead of a plug wire. Sometimes just turning the clamp over gets a better signal.

Wed May 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Would It be better to just hard wire the power then? I'm using the output right from my digital 6 msd box., I have it teed from the box to the rpm converter and over to the tach wire.

Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm
Site Admin

MSD boxes have a good tach signal so maybe all you need to do is ground the RPM converter. Usually the MSD box gives a steady RPM tace, not the jitters you have there. It is a good idea to use the same ground source as the ignition box so there is no RPM signal voltage offset. The cigarette lighter socket may be an OK power supply, but most are not well grounded, just loosely attached to the vehicle dashboard sheet metal. The engine block and battery both act as big inductors or capacitors, so they smooth the power supply. The engine itself, because the alternator is attached to it, is the lowest common denominator of "ground" voltage.

Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm

tuner wrote:
MSD boxes have a good tach signal so maybe all you need to do is ground the RPM converter. Usually the MSD box gives a steady RPM tace, not the jitters you have there. It is a good idea to use the same ground source as the ignition box so there is no RPM signal voltage offset. The cigarette lighter socket may be an OK power supply, but most are not well grounded, just loosely attached to the vehicle dashboard sheet metal. The engine block and battery both act as big inductors or capacitors, so they smooth the power supply. The engine itself, because the alternator is attached to it, is the lowest common denominator of "ground" voltage.

Ok I'll Ground the RPM converter on the head like my box is and i'll look at the lighter to make sure its tight etc, and then i'll try it again either
on the street or next time at the track in a week

Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Gday Mark,
Thanks very much for that! I'll give that a whirl after the winternationals and give it a run and see how it goes
And post the results .
Don't want to change too many things right at this point.
Cheers
Paul

jmarkaudio wrote:
tuffxf wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:
Try putting .026 in the top and 3rd position. And lower your idle feed.

Gday Mark,
If this reply is to me, thanks very much!
.026 in 1 and 3, rest blocked i take it?
Leave the hi speed alone eh?
So when relocating the ifr simply tap the block and relocate it?

Do you happen to know anything about the availability of those quick fuel bowls?

Thanks very much!☺

You can take the HS down to 26 as well. As far as the bowls, the Black Diamond coating is not ideal for methanol. Anywhere the coating gets scratched the methanol will get under and eventually loosen it. The best is too have a set of silver bowls hardcoat plated. Even if they are scratched it doesn't loosen, keeps the rest protected.

Wed May 24, 2017 2:41 pm

tuner wrote:

So I grounded it to the passenger head where the msd box is also grounded, and i didn't get to make much of a WOT hit today on the way to work or coming home, but i think it looks better/ What do u think? The true test will be at the track on a run probably?

Attachments:
LM1Log 5-25-17.log [28.99 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

Thu May 25, 2017 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2