View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Do you lube the fastener threads when assembling a Holley? 

I don't use lube on the float bowl screws but was wondering if the torque specification is actually correct for dry threads.
I lube practically every other fastener on my car before torquing...
Now I have my base plate off to install transfer slot jets and I want to put it back together correctly...

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes. Always. I use Slick 50 Spray Lube on every screw. I also sometimes use it taking nasty cores apart.

Taking out Borg Warner needle and seats especially and sometimes on power valves if they are stubborn.

I had one that I could only get the top bowl screws out of once. I sprayed from there through the holes with the straw to the bottom screws and was able to finally get them to come out with destroying the threads.

Yes you have to be care full with the torque going back together.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Cool.
Torquing dry fasteners disturbs me...

Thanks!

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Steve439 wrote:
I don't use lube on the float bowl screws but was wondering if the torque specification is actually correct for dry threads.
I lube practically every other fastener on my car before torquing...
Now I have my base plate off to install transfer slot jets and I want to put it back together correctly...

I use Vaseline on every bolt and screw and syn. grease on pump arms......... :thumbr:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Pump arms... I hadn't thought of that...

Thanks!

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm

One caution. If you use any kind of grease lube ect. that sees fuel that will not disolve cleanly it may form tiny balls that can suck up int a jet or elsewhere and clog it up. Don't ask me how I know. B|

Holley has some kind of wicked grease they use on the pump cams, secondary linkages and throttle shafts on their marine carburetors, wish I could get some of it, it just flat out sticks to the surface.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 pm
Site Admin

Some synthetic greases don't dissolve cleanly, I use a petroleum based trans assembly lube, just a little thicker than vasoline.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 pm

I like to use Marvel Mystery Oil, it works very well.

Just pour some into a small cap, and dip the threads as you go. An acid brush cut down a tad to stiffen it up works good, to brush over the holes and run some into the threads before you assemble.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]