View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cutting a JT33 taper, using a... drill press??! 

Started as 1" OD 6061, to be used as a way to clamp a drill chuck in the vise. You can't make stuff like that on a drill press. Right? ;)

The pattern ('Poor Man's Dykem', aka blue Sharpie) isn't as bad as it looks, it's only been assembled lightly by hand and even then I had to whack it a few times to get it off.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Nice work,

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:11 pm

I made a flycutter, expecting that no way in hell would anything like this work in a lowly drill press. It's two piece, the shank is 1/2" 6061 just pressed into the body. It's never coming out. It's so tight the body OD grew by .003".

I was wrong. It works just fine.

Facing 2" aluminum mounted in my improvised rotary fixture thing:

That fixture thing is a 5" lathe chuck, slipped over a brass mandrel bolted to the table. Allows parts to be turned (by hand) in a concentric circle under the spindle.

The drill press is no longer really a drill press, though it's not nearly as user-friendly or accurate (not with any repeatability) as a similar sized mill. The column is filled with concrete, table has been stiffened, original gutless motor replaced with a 6000 RPM TWO HORSEPOWER! treadmill motor & variable speed controller, 3/8" linkbelt, and so on. Minimum speed is something like 50-60 RPM and has enough torque to rip your arm off and then beat you to death with it.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:25 am
Site Admin

Good work. Whatever gets it done. I'd show you the adaptor I made with a Buick HEI housing and Chevrolet shaft to run a Ferrari distributor in my distributor machine but I'm shy.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:10 am

I tend to get stuck in a cycle of making tools to make other tools to make something else needed to make another tool for some task I no longer remember. Occasionally by accident I end up with something close to a finished product, then it's back to making custom vise jaws and such...

This is a pocket-sized version of an annular insert indexer like jmark built. I still need to make a base, and a piece over the top to hold a drill bushing.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:16 am

Will it cut valve pockets?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]