View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Lead Acid batteries 

Ok so I've been a battery noob for too long and decided to expand my knowledge of them a bit, I've always been a works or it don't and replace it type guy. Just last year I actually starting testing them after I read they could be the cause of various issues. I tested the two I had after a charge 12.4 & 12.5, after a cruise with each I then tested and found one was still 12.5 and the other dropped to 12.3. So I just used the 12.5 and planned to buy another eventually and kinda forgot bout it with other issues with my cars. I did of course read 12.6 or above was ideal.

This year chasing down a noise problem I read "If you've tried all of the noise-fighting tips above and you still hear the noise, the problem might be with your vehicle. You might simply need to fill your battery with fluid. If that doesn't help, have a mechanic check your alternator and battery." Edit: this wasn't my problem but still was worth checking.

source http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YLEeUyGFTl ... guide.html

So I popped my caps off for the 1st time ever on a batt and then thought I had a real low batt, because mine only used half fill tubes n I had the batt turned so I saw the open side. Then after watching a few online vids I realized it wasn't that bad and top it off with a little distilled water on a couple cells.

To my surprise it now charges 12.6(tested 24hr after charged) with only a little water. I'm just wondering if it's normal for only a little water to make a diff on Lead Acid batteries?

Any further info or advice on maintenance?

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:39 pm

For what its worth, I had always been told so long as the plates were covered, the battery was ok. Now, I don't know if that is an old wives tale. Just what I've heard thru the years.

Interested as well to this answer.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 am
Site Admin

^^^ This is true. If the battery is discharged the water level will be low. Charge it and water level comes up. The sulfur moves from the electrolyte to the plates as it discharges and returns to the water as it is charged, the liquid level changes accordingly. If you add water to a discharged battery it dilutes the acid strength. You should only and enough water to cover the plates if they are exposed and then charge it, the liquid level will come up

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Yup I read charged the level will go up and mine was charged before adding.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]