View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Scoop question 

I am going to be putting a scoop on the boat I am building. In the past I have run an open velocity stack. I am a little worried about the turbulent air that the front of the scoop might see do to having a driver offset to one side and the fact that I can't fit a filter in it. I saw on a thread on another site the wire basket that the L88 corvettes had on them. Would that be a safe item to prevent turbulent air causing issues?

This is what the boat will be like,

And this is the basket I am referring to.

Attachments:
L88 carb screen.jpg
L88 carb screen.jpg [ 257.31 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]
Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know anything about scoops but that basket looks like the best way to kill power I've ever seen. A good air cleaner with an element in it will be better than that. Look how close the lid is to the choke tower...

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:54 am

I could make one a little bit taller. Unfortunately I don't have room for a filter in there. I even looked at adapting a filter to the entrance, but still do not think I can make that happen. I can always do on vehicle testing, but just wanted to bounce the idea off some other peoples heads to see what they thought.

That basket came on the L88 Corvettes if I understand correctly. If I am off base please set me straight.

Paul

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:55 pm
Profile WWW

Why not use a Kitchen strainer? Some thing like this...
Home goods or Wallyworld also has them. Poke a hole in the top and use a nylon lock nut to hold it on there..
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ctads-adid^11472831011-device^c-plaid^1100309429559-sku^4488656@ADL10BMC-adType^PLA

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:05 am
Site Admin

Use the complete OE base and lid assembly, filter element and all.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:09 pm

tuner wrote:
Use the complete OE base and lid assembly, filter element and all.

If I could I would. We built a custom scoop for this boat and I did not think about the potential turbulence issue until we had it already fabricated and painted to match the boat. We will see how it plays out. I just figured I would throw the idea out there and see if anybody had already crossed this bridge.

Paul

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]