View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Intake manifold selection 

I am building a circle track 406 that I am trying to make very mild and driveable The goal is 475 HP and no more than 500 torque, but hopefully 475 at peak torque on race gas. The crate engine deal has exploded around here and they make about 450 HP and TQ on alcohol. They must have enough power because they are winning consistency.

I am building a flat top piston 406 with stock Vortec heads 2.02/1.6 valves and mild port work. I am using a very small street hydraulic camshaft. 222 @ .050" and 114 LSA. It maps out to be very similar to the camshaft in the crate engine other than the intake valve closing is about 12 degrees later. I believe this will be a good thing since my larger displacement and higher compression ratio will need to have something to bleed off the low end torque.

The engine will be ran up to 6500 RPM max. I have decided that an open plenum intake would most likely be best suited since this is a large engine for the cylinder heads and again I think the low RPM torque may be too much anyhow. Has anyone had experience with the Professional Products open intake on this sort of low RPM application? I know it will work good up high but I am a little worried about the plenum volume and runner size on it. The crate engine is a GM performance parts open plenum which is basically an Edelbrock Super Victor. Should I just go with that intake instead?

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]