View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ignition choice 

using the ice ignition with a MSD crank trigger, when I activate the two step, RPM goes up and down up and down like its turning on and off repetively . tried everything I could think of including removing all switched inbetween. think its time for a crane. i'v had several MSD boxes Mallory and a Jacobs and now ice. I think the Jacobs was the best performing of them all. Jacobs doesn't have a two step on that box which I still have on the shelf.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am
Site Admin

With any CD ignition, the E-core type coil like Crane uses is a significant improvement over the can type. One of these FD-478 units for Ford applications works well with the MSD 6 ignitions or any other similar CD. They are available cheap on EBay and the cheap ones work as well or better than the expensive "premium" versions. $6.80 US for this one. LOL I get them for $16.00 at the local parts store. The connector with 8" of wire costs $12.00. Go figure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/912-IGNITION-CO ... ed&vxp=mtr

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:14 pm

would I be able to use my ice ignitions coil with a crane hi6?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Hmmmm..........Tuner that looks very much like the PS-92 coil without the metal bracket.

Might have to purchase 1 and see how it compares to the Crane. Wouldnt surprise me if its the
same one.

Quote:
would I be able to use my ice ignitions coil with a crane hi6?

I would try it and then purchase the above one and compare!

Hysteric

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Tuner i agree with you and that ford coil, it packs a hell of a punch and is fast to recover. I did some testing on it when i was trying to find something better then the mercury marine coils, and this coil matched with a CDI was no punk. I did this ignition test session during the nhra sport compact series years ago, and found great results from that coil, but found a better coil i had was a DENSO COP off a gsxr 1000 motorcyle. found the most stability at my target 14,000 rpm. quick saturation and recovery time, and stable. M&W CDI box's and DENSO COP'S were the greatest test results.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2