View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Vac advance rates 

Are you still running ported vac advance? I tend to prefer ported on mild SBC engines. I could never figure out why so may on the net recommend 30+ deg timing at idle with the can connected to manifold, as I've always seemed to get better results using ported vacuum and not going nuts with high initial advance. Wondering if you've had the same experience during this exercise?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:47 am

I left it ported. It idled fine so I didn't feel the need. I have run engines both ways and each engine likes different things. Lots of initial tends to make it over advanced at idle if you are also adding vac advance.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:35 am

80427 wrote:
I left it ported. It idled fine so I didn't feel the need. I have run engines both ways and each engine likes different things. Lots of initial tends to make it over advanced at idle if you are also adding vac advance.

Agree. I don't subscribe to the "manifold is the only way, every time, every engine" philosophy so often parroted on the 'net. I've found a lot of times that mild engines don't particularly like lots of timing at idle or a really fast mechanical curve. YMMV.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5