View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 wide band O2 meters 

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive good wide band, which one would you guys recommend?

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:27 pm
Site Admin

For a simple gauge I like the Innovate MTX-L. If you want to data record more channels of input information, like RPM, TPS and MAP, you can combine the MTX-L with the SSI-4 and some sensor hardware (I get TPS and MAP sensors from the wrecking yard) and record to their Pocked Logger or your laptop. For a device with built-in recording to a SD carb the LM-2 may be what you are looking for, but it will require that you use a 7805 5V regulator to power the sensors. The SSI-4 has the 5V supply built in. All Innovate products, such as their gauges for oil.pressure, water temperature, EGT, boost-vacuum, etc, etc, interface with each other and all other Innovate devices in a "daisy chain" so they all can be linked together and recorded if you are so inclined.

For a simple wide band AFR gauge the MTX-L is excellent.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Thank you Tuner,

I was looking at that one, read a bunch of different posts on other sites, which turned into an argument of sorts. LOL. I figured I would ask the "experts". Again, you guys are great with the help on carbs. I greatly appreciate it.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:06 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
bunch of different posts on other sites, which turned into an argument of sorts. LOL.

People are funny. They are happy the ECU in the car they drive is self-diagnostic and can post a code and go into "limp-home" mode to protect the engine, they expect it to do this and couldn't diagnose a problem without the feature, but they get all flared up because the Innovate WBO2 controllers are self-diagnostic and will show an error code instead of give false information. Innovate's digital controller will detect a damaged sensor and alert you instead of show the wrong A/F. A lot of problems are cause by a ground offset, usually because the installer grounded it to someplace stupid like the steering column instead of the engine. It seems hard for people to understand the ground side has resistance and voltage drop just like the "hot" side.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Search ebay for LM2596 DC-DC adjustable power supplies. They have an input range of 1.5 to 35 volts. I have heard warnings from fancy E.E.-type people that using one by itself in an automotive environment will result in instant fiery death and a smoking crater in the ground, but I have used dozens of them as-is to power 10v/1A LEDs for interior & trunk light retrofits and have had zero failures or issues of any kind. They're cheap, versatile, and just work. Set to 5v for your sensor ref voltage and forget it. They have built-in thermal and overcurrent limiting if anything goes wrong (pinched wire, failed sensor) they just turn themselves off.

Dimensions are about 1.7" x .8".

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:02 am

Thank you,

looks like great advice. I'll give it a whirl.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]