View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Drilling setscrews 

350lj wrote:
Hi Cat Header im up to buy a set if you send to Australia.
Thanks Mark

I'm keen for one also mate !

Cheers Nik

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:10 pm

cat herder wrote:
Did I put this in the wrong place, not reaching enough eyeballs out there? :(

I made a whole mess of these and so have about 20 spares if anybody's interested.

When I read your first post, I thought it was a 'how to"; didn't know you had made extra. You know on this forum people rarely post if they have no additional questions or suggestions. It does keep things relatively clutter free.

Anyway, add me to the list of those interested in one and participating in a forwarding delivery system. Couldn't post earlier 'cause I've been working up in the mountains - my 2150 has gotten a good work out. :)

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 am
Profile WWW

Hi Cat herder, I'm down for one in Aussieland as well. 350lj is in the same neighborhood as me

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:12 am

Mattax wrote:
cat herder wrote:
Did I put this in the wrong place, not reaching enough eyeballs out there? :(

I made a whole mess of these and so have about 20 spares if anybody's interested.

When I read your first post, I thought it was a 'how to"; didn't know you had made extra. You know on this forum people rarely post if they have no additional questions or suggestions. It does keep things relatively clutter free.

Anyway, add me to the list of those interested in one and participating in a forwarding delivery system. Couldn't post earlier 'cause I've been working up in the mountains - my 2150 has gotten a good work out. :)

I did the same thing. It is a really great idea. It is a fine line of tightening the drill chuck to hold the set screw without boogering up the threads.

I'll take one if you have any left. Let me know what we need to know.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm interested in one. It's awesome you're sharing this and I'm more than willing to send payment. I'm just discovering the joy of bleed drilling and trying to center a set screw in a drill chuck.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:58 am

I haven't abandoned you guys, just waiting until after the holiday rush is over.

I also made 20 or so #10-to-#4 adapters. For those that use them. The thru-hole in the mandrel was too big for the #4-40's to snug up.

Clamp the mandrel in a chuck and really crank the #10 adapter in there, then just lightly seat the #4-40 (finger-tight is fine). Makes the #4 easy to remove afterwards without the adapter coming loose instead, which is annoying when it happens.

The runout isn't absolutely zero, but it's a lot less than I would have guessed before starting. And it's less runout than you occasionally get trying to grip a bare setscrew in a drill chuck.

I've found it easier to do the drilling in the drill press - not by lowering the quill, but just holding the pin vise underneath by hand and pushing upwards.

Since the direction of rotation while drilling is opposite the thread direction, the setscrews don't need to be very tight in the mandrel. After drilling the setscrews are still loose enough that they can be removed without clamping the mandrel backwards in a chuck, just holding it with finger pressure is good enough.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2