View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fuel pumps 

What is the general opinion about Holley #12-802-1 fuel pump? How reliable is it for street use? Is it worth buying?
Thank you!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 am

Mount it below the tank or low as you can, use a 100 micron prefilter, run the proper size wire, vent the tank with the right size, one size larger line from tank too pump helps too, don't use drilled brass or bad flow fittings/dist blocks. Do it right and your pump should live.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 pm

BOOT wrote:
Mount it below the tank or low as you can, use a 100 micron prefilter, run the proper size wire, vent the tank with the right size, one size larger line from tank too pump helps too, don't use drilled brass or bad flow fittings/dist blocks. Do it right and your pump should live.

X2 on the above and if the instructions do not mention it a relay it would help to keep load through your switch and voltage drop at a minimum. Never ran one on the street but have on many bracket cars and reliable enough. Down side is they were pretty noisy when I was using them. Two problems I had were with the commutators eventually getting a bad spot and the shaft seal for the pump giving up. This was on pump gas cars and I don't know if the 10% ethanol was a factor in the seal issue or not. At that time they were not rated for any alcohol use. I know, I tried a car on alky in the 80's. Whoops!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Good point todays fuels.......

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm
Site Admin

As far as I know the red and blue pumps are not alky compatible. The black one is supposed to be though.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:35 pm

I have a magna fuel 300 pump used if your interested pm me....

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 am

Not a fan of those pumps. Very loud and not the most reliable. Spend a few more bucks and get one like this: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... rts/12-600

Yes, it costs more, but they are almost silent, I've left mine on before because it's so quiet. You will need a regulator as well. I've been running mine for a couple years with no issue. It replaced a BG Sumo pump that died on me. My car is 100% street driven and I live in a hot Summer climate. The one I have is the dual pump, but the same basic pump just 2 in 1 housing.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 am

Thank you Camaroman7d, good advice.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]